Thursday 8 September 2016

NAWAB : A BUNDLE OF UNADULTERATED JOY


PART IV
Continued...

         Pet therapy! Many recommended it to me. We have had pets earlier, German Shepherds always but somehow I couldn’t connect. Maybe they were not cuddlesome enough or probably the sheer size and ferocity intimidated me. May be unlike me, they were extroverts.
Despite having them as pets, I must confess I was not much of a dog lover. Recommended by a dear friend, “he” (can never use “it” for someone who is more humane than most of the human beings) came to me as a 22-day-old pup. Big enough to fit the palm of my hand, he looked at me with his big sad eyes, which instantly melted my heart. The first night in our house was spent to make him comfortable because probably he was missing his mum. I tried everything from cuddling to cajoling and feeding (unnecessarily like all moms do) to make him feel at home but he took his own time as if telling me, its not that easy!! His unique way of sleeping in his bed reminded me of Emperors and Sultans. I decided to call him Nawab.

        I don’t know about other pugs but somehow Nawab has an amazing sixth sense. He knew he was brought home with a purpose, he also knew his mission very well. 'Mission Happiness'! Up at 5AM everyday, he has his eyes transfixed on my bed waiting for some movement. The moment I look at him, up goes his tail and then starts his non-stop jumping.  Perhaps his way of wishing “Good Morning”! And then begins his coaxing me out of the bed. Mewling like a baby, using his paws, he makes vehement efforts to pull me out of bed. With Nawab around, lethargy stands no chance at all. I must get up and get going.

        Throughout the day he is with me, sitting by my feet he keeps looking at me when I am in the kitchen, jumps onto my lap while I am doing yoga and even tries to jump on the treadmill during my workout! Often when I am using my laptop or phone he simply sits in my lap and starts peering into the laptop or phone as if telling me how it is done! Throughout the day he is most dutifully and happily strutting from one room to another along with me, never leaving my side, even for a second. Wherever you go, network follows!! He has this amazing ability of snoring through worst of thundering but is extremely vigilant of my most stealthy tip toes.

           Sometimes I wonder what is it that makes him so obliged. He would sulk if I have to leave him and go out of the house and would be waiting for me on my return, offering the best possible welcome. He has this unique ability to probably read my mind, sense my moods and thereafter in his own little ways try to pep up my spirits. He surely has many tricks up his sleeve. One of it is that he will start circling around me like a whirlwind with his tail perfectly parallel to the ground, a sure shot way to make me smile. When I talk to him, he responds with his eyes and it won’t be an exaggeration if I say that he is the world’s best listener. He has this peculiar way of tilting his head sideways and bringing his face absolutely close to mine, indicating that he is ‘understanding’ me perfectly. My toy, my companion, my confidant, my bundle of positivity, my Nawab has opened the floodgates of happiness for me.


          People say that I’ve pampered him but I feel it is the other way round. Some of the best lessons on unconditional and selfless love, loyalty, honesty and contentment have been taught to me by him in the most effective and practical manner. He knows not only how to ‘give’ love but how to ‘get’ it as well. And he may not be able to speak yet everyday he conveys without fail , "You will always be loved by me." Sometimes, it is more than enough to make me happy.


To be continued...

P.S. - I know some of you who are reading this blog have certain queries. I will try and  answer these in my concluding part. 

27 comments:

  1. Pet therapy, that's exactly what we are trying to do with our daughter who lost her African grey parrot last month, they both were inseparable and she hs become totally withdrawn and a recluse since his death!! Hate to see her like this, so we got her a month old pug, I am yet to see a bond develop between them, but ur blog gives me hope....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just leave it to your pug, he will do the needful, i assure.

      Delete
  2. wah this is a cute one...they say pets take away the pain and strèss of their owners...it seems to be so true in ur and Nawab's case...very nice...pugs in any case consider themselves to be human

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And you are right, he does consider himself to be human 😊😊

      Delete
  3. wah this is a cute one...they say pets take away the pain and strèss of their owners...it seems to be so true in ur and Nawab's case...very nice...pugs in any case consider themselves to be human

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though i am nt a dog lover...but this article of yours....does motivates me..for some future plans... i must say Nawab must be very lucky to..have such a aborable friend with him...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Andaaz, your Nawab has certainly contributed his share in trying to get you out of your depression.... probably more than anyone else. The great thing about dogs is that they willingly give you 100% unadulterated love, they are 100% forgiving and they want very little in return, without ever complaining.Am glad to read that you are enjoying him as much as he is enjoying being yours....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great read! Your love for Nawab comes through with each written word and makes us all want to meet and cuddle him. Great pictures too- especially the last one. He seems almost human in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, pet therapy is the best therapy in this universe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nawab,true to his name!!Pets r d most selfless beings.Your pet has a very strong sixth sense.He knows all d tricks to please his master.Lucky to hv a sensible ,adorable n intelligent Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An awesome piece of writing. The bond of affection is palpable. Truly a vivid and admirable penning

    ReplyDelete
  10. An awesome piece of writing. The bond of affection is palpable. Truly a vivid and admirable penning

    ReplyDelete
  11. An awesome piece of writing. The bond of affection is palpable. Truly a vivid and admirable penning

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow....how nicely you have written about Nawab and your association with him....He is definitely your darling Nawab....Thanx for sharing your love with us😍....love u Nawab

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspired....Would love to have pet now after reading this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspired....Would love to have pet now after reading this

    ReplyDelete
  15. This write up is an evidence of your strong attachment with Nawab, he being the source of security and unconditional love. I have always had a dog at home since my childhood and for sure petting produces an automatic relaxation response. Every line reflects your caring soul, keep the warmth going..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nawab now as therapist. Am glad you over the issue ... Be cheerful & don't let the demons bog you down

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nawab now as therapist. Am glad you over the issue ... Be cheerful & don't let the demons bog you down

    ReplyDelete
  18. "....he may not be able to speak yet everyday he conveys without fail , "You will always be loved by me."

    Aah well, all one wants is to be loved and taken care of, and he seems to be doing exactly that! There was so much happiness emanating out of this post that I had a dil-se emerging smile on my face, while i read it all!
    Mallika-e-Andaaz aur unke Nawabzaade ko dher saara pyaar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nawab came as a prism to spread the rainbow of colours from the ray of light you carry within.he is a seeker and a giver of unconditional compassion ,a non judgmental friend purely nurturing the relation with heart ,stranger to the qualms like malicious,hypocritical,manipulative trends of ways of human connection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very nice piece. Nawab and pets like him give the best returns on investment... emotional & social investment! Compliments

    ReplyDelete